Bayelsa Times

Boat sinks off Cambodia’s sea, over 20 Chinese missing

News

A boat carrying Chinese nationals sunk off southwestern Cambodia’s sea on Thursday evening, the Chinese Embassy in Cambodia confirmed on Friday.

According to the Chinese embassy, they received a notification from the Cambodian Police Department on Thursday night, said that the police found a sunken ship which used to have 41 Chinese citizens on board.

About 18 people had been rescued and the remaining 23 still missing.

Two Cambodian crew members involved had been arrested.

According to the rescued personnel, the people on board departed from Guangzhou, China on Sept. 11 and were in distress shortly after arriving in the waters of Preah Sihanouk province.

The embassy said after receiving the information, Ambassador Wang Wentian immediately deployed staff to contact the Cambodian Ministry of National Defence and the police department

The Sihanouk Provincial Government and other relevant departments to request rescuing the missing ones.

Li Jie, counsellor and consul general of the embassy, rushed to Preah Sihanouk on Thursday night to coordinate relevant rescue operations.

Li on Friday morning got the information from Kuoch Chamroeun, governor of Preah Sihanouk province, about the latest progress in the search and rescue work.

Chamroeun said that after the accident, the Cambodian Ministry of National Defence, the National Police and the provincial government carried out rescue work with all their strength.

The embassy said as of 12:00 local time on Friday, another person was successfully rescued, and a victim’s body was recovered.

In order to mobilise social forces to participate in the rescue, the Sihanouk provincial government issued a reward notice to fishermen nearby.

It said that rescuing each missing person would be rewarded with 500 U.S. dollars.

The search and rescue operation is still going on.

Related posts

Senate orders NUPRC to return Atala oil (OML 46) to original owners

Saheed Busari

Insecurity: ‘How we tamed looming insurgency in Delta’, says Iloba

Saheed Busari

FG assures Nigerians on completion of East-West road

Saheed Busari

Kidnappers kill catholic priest, hunter in Edo

Saheed Busari

PDP consensus candidate will oust APC from power -Saraki

Saheed Busari

Gov. Udom Emmanuel abandons Akpabio’s $1.5m printing press equipment

Saheed Busari

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.